Well, you know I am doing it.
I kinda sorta wrote my story here and apparently there's a QaF 10 year community? Did not know this!
But some added details to the story. I was doing an internship in June 2003 and spotted Hal Sparks. I thought, "Isn't he on Queer as Folk? Is that show still on?" Yes! The show was still on. That's when I decided to run to Blockbuster to go rent the DVDs. I caught up but it did take time. Either some DVDs or VHS tapes were gone so I had to wait for them. It felt like I was watching the show in real time!
The first time I saw it I thought, "What isn't to like about the show? Jokes? Funny. Gay sex? Good. Hot men? V. v. good."
No, I got to experience the "joys" of hiatus during S3 and S4. But, during the hiatus, I definitely got all caught up, and that's when I started getting involved in fandom.
Seven years and still going strong!
( Rest of the meme. )
Well, you know I am doing it.
I call CRAZYPANTS on that one. Crazypants. I was 15 when the show came out. So, I didn't watch it when it first premiered. I was too involved in my boy band phase that lasted for a little while. I didn't have time for that many obsessions! But, once my first year of college hit? I was all ready to begin anew.
Well, that's my story. I started watching the show at the tail end of S3 but wanted to watch the whole thing and get caught up. These were the pre-YouTube and pre-downloading days unless you had a fast DSL line. It was 2003 and I had to do things the old fashioned way! I rented the DVDs at Blockbuster in the summer of 2003. I watched everything over and over again, repeated favorite lines, favorite episodes until I felt like I had the whole Season 1 memorized. On to eBay to buy Season 2 for $50. I lost the first auction and got the second one. I had to wait an agonizing two weeks for it since I took a trip up north. When I got back, I watched all 20 episodes over a few days.
Finally, Season 3 came in the form of ripped copies from TV from a very generous person, and I watched those on my computer to get all caught up!
Then, obsession began.
I wasn't as active in 2003 up until the show ended. I was in college and even though I read all the fic, visited all the websites, commented here in LJ, and spoke up every once in a while, I wasn't as involved as I would've liked to have been.
Still, I made some friends here and I'm happy to say that I have most of them still friended and they've friended me back.
Sometimes, I still get a little fanfic/QaF fan starstruck. I'll never forget the first time I came across paddies icons and all of her talent and skill. I remember when url_girl came on the scene and brought the funny with her doodles and icons (still brings the funny!). I remember freaking out with my Bestie every time that sandstorm63 would post a new clip on her site. I remember I was flying to Vancouver to visit the Bestie and someone sent me the scene from 403 early. I remember reading Crisis by jane2005 and holding my breath the entire time. I remember reading Forever Changes Everything by rhiannonhero over and over and over again because that's how I imagined their future. I remember dying from excitement every time that burnitbackwards posted anything new and shiny.
The whole of LJ was just littered with incredible fic on an almost daily basis from '03 to '05. I didn't know how good I had it. There were definitely a list of authors that I kept returning to because I loved anything that they wrote. My nostalgia list pretty much has everyone on it but the most memorable names were people like bigboobedcanuck, juteux, darksylvia, lennongirl, sparkledark and brosen, xhaleslowly, ragingpixie, severina2001 and twistinside, and others that I know I'm forgetting!
There were INCREDIBLE vidders in fandom! I think we really had some of the best. It was the way that I discovered new tunes, that's for sure. There was Blank Monday's Pillow, Jonatha Brooke's Because I Told You So, Rufus Wainwright's music was used. Choimimi's videos were really something else and had a great use of the music. Aida's never failed to make me cry my eyes out! Defying Gravity will never fail to be one of my faves followed by f1renze's Affirmation. Wendy's vids ... I can never watch musical Buffy the same way ever, ever again.
And then there were the fantastic people that came after the show was done! The brilliant suzvoy, talented ohfreckle, arlad, and so many more!
In other words, I can't believe that it's been 10 years since the first episode of the show, that changed my life, aired. I'm so happy to call you guys friends, that we're all still here years later, and you can definitely always count on me to suck you into my web of nostalgia! I've met such wonderful friends through this little show and I am forever grateful to it for that.
Queer Eyes Archive
Hi everyone! I've been working on this little project for a while now and it's finally (kinda, sorta) done so I just want to put it out there into cyberspace. This is probably the ultimate nostalgic project of mine and you guys know how I am for nostalgia when it comes to that little fandom that started way back when.
My goal was to be able to preserve the Queer Eyes website as it was with complete content, everything on the site as it was. Queer Eyes does still exist but it's becoming its own entity now and I wanted to be able to preserve the website links and all, the way that people remember the site when it belonged to paddies.
With paddies blessing, permission, and use of the old files, I moved the content to my server, put all the links back up, fixed the inactive links, redirected the dead links, and made no additions or changes.
So, if you would like to visit the old site as it was, I welcome you to bookmark this link.
Any comments, concerns, questions can be left here in the comments section or feel free to PM or e-mail me. I'll get back to you as soon as possible. Thanks everyone! A big, huge thanks to paddies for trusting and allowing me to take care of Queer Eyes, ohfreckle for her gorgeous work on the layout, and url_girl for all the cheerleading, advice, and suggestions all the way. ♥ all you ladies!
Queer as Folk is amazon.com's Gold Box deal of the day.
UH. REMEMBER HOW I PAID THIS MUCH FOR SEASON 5? GRR.
Remember how much everyone paid for the first few seasons when they were new? lol. Good times, good times.
Already wanting it to be Lure-time. Is it Lure time yet?! 3 hours to go! So far away.
I can't believe it's been five years! It's hitting my nostalgic button pretty hard, you guys. Five years ago today (except it was August 7th) was the very last episode of Queer as Folk. I just moved in to my new apartment and made sure that I had cable so I could watch it and the Goodbye Special. My friend scifi_addict was a witness to the insanity that was my state of mind.
I don't know what I would've done without this show. I really don't. It's seven years later and I'm still using this journal, making new friends, getting into new fandoms, but I'll always come back to Queer as Folk.
How about we all share one memory from the show that's made us happy? It could be a quote, a picture, a moment in the show, a memory that you share with a friend while watching the show, memories of the signings, the Paley Festival, the Babylon Tours, etc.
I remember being on the phone with my best friend and we used to talk for hours and hours. Pretty much every day we'd recite a line to each other and it would crack us up. I remember one day in particular where ... I think the new clips came out on sandstorm's website. Remember the former website? It was plain, black background and it just had the clips on it. Anyway, we started saying Brian and Justin's lines from 406 when they were at Babylon together and making the bet. I don't know why this one sticks out for me but I remember laughing really hard while doing that.
... one more. The DC++ gang. I don't think I have anyone remaining from there on my flist. Do I? That was fun. I got into Latter Days that way and the Bel Ami boys (ha). A lot of people had some really great things to share.
From Entertainment Weekley (ew.com):
As The World Turns Tapes the Final Episode.
You guys ... it's on. I know I'm going to be in a world of broken when this all comes to an end. I don't deal with the end of obsessions well. You're talking to the girl who still hasn't let QaF go.
I'm feeling better about yesterday's Lure thanks to the wonderful members of lure_atwt. Stories, videos, gifs? They all work.
Now that there's a bit of a Lure break until Thursday, let's discuss this brand spanking new CowLip interview that has randomly popped up out of nowhere. Now that I've had a little time to digest it all, I can happily say, what are they on and can I have some of it?
What is this "of course Brian and Justin are together"? There was never an of course. I think that they made a very strong effort for there not to be an of course. I remember the talk at the convention. Who was there? Postoff? There was quite the ruckus there. I remember the lack of communication between various writers and the creators of the show and the cast. I remember the joy I felt when I heard that Brian and Justin were getting married and it wasn't because I thought that their marriage would bond them together forever. I already felt like they were together forever but at least we'd get to see them have a happy ending, see them together to the end. Is that what happened? No.
I remember how pissed off I was to see Justin just disappearing like that and Brian bouncing around like a club boy, giving me the impression that -- no -- he never grew up and there he is dancing without Justin.
In case you need quotes from 2005 from both CowLip and Postoff, you can find it here in gaedhal's journal.
I mean, it's nice for them to think that that was their intention but it didn't seem like it was then. It's what they think it is now and personally, I just think that they're trying to appease people five years later. Most old fandom doesn't care about this now but they cared about it then and people who only watched through DVDs and caught up with the show later will probably accept these answers.
I didn't realize that it's Memorial Day since I haven't really needed to acknowledge any type of day lately so I hope that everyone is enjoying their holiday weekend. No wonder they're having a Band of Brothers marathon. I'm enjoying it right now. I have two veterans of WWII in my family. That's all the military connection that we have.
I originally wanted to say that there's a new CowLip interview roaming around. I didn't even know about it since I'm not part of that community anymore. I mean, it's so random, lol. It's five years later. Shit like this would've been a little helpful five years ago. I have no major thoughts on this. Maybe soon but I'm still too wrapped up in ATWT to think about this. Thanks to sakesushimaki for bringing it to my attention!
OH MY GOD. YOU GUYS. myrna1_2_3 JUST WROTE THIS PERFECT FIC. IT'S LIKE THE PERFECT FIC THAT BRINGS TOGETHER THE TWO COUPLES THAT I LOVE MORE THAN ANYTHING IN THIS UNIVERSE: BRIAN AND JUSTIN AND LUKE AND REID.
SERIOUSLY. IT IS SO EPIC. IT IS EPICLY EPIC. I WANT TO WRITE SONNETS TO IT BUT I CAN'T WRITE.
DID I MENTION IT'S EPIC? IT'S SO IC FOR ALL CHARACTERS INVOLVED AND MY ONLY SADNESS IS THAT IT'S NOT TEN THOUSAND PAGES LONG WHERE I CAN GET LOST IN THAT UNIVERSE FOREVER.
YOU HAVE TO READ IT. READ IT RIGHT NOW. IT'S RIGHT HERE! GO READ IT. IT'S HERE.
THERE IS RELATING TO EACH OTHER AND BRIAN AND JUSTIN HAVING THE RELATIONSHIP THAT I LOVE SO HARD AND THEY'RE STILL TOGETHER AND LUKE AND REID BEING TOGETHER.
HOW DO YOU GO WRONG WITH THIS FIC? YOU CAN'T. GO.
GO AND REPORT BACK HOW MUCH YOU LOVED IT.
I'VE ONLY BEGUN TO SQUEE. suzvoy WROTE EPIC FACESPACE (LMAO) FIC THAT IS LURE AND IS SO INCREDIBLY CREATIVE AND ORIGINAL AND FUNNY BUT SO RIDICULOUSLY IC THAT THIS IS ALSO PART OF MY UNIVERSE.
I MEAN. IT'S SO GENIUS, YOU GUYS. IT'S GENIUS. HOW ARE YOU SO BRILLIANT, SUZ? HOW?
YOU GUYS NEED TO READ IT AND GET INTO LUKE/REID ALREADY. TRUST ME. IT'S A FANTASTIC PLACE TO BE.
GO READ IT.
START HERE: REID OLIVER AND LUKE SYNDER ARE NOW FRIENDS
THEN GO HERE: LUKE SYNDER HAS POSTED SOMETHING ON YOUR WALL
END HERE: LUCINDA WALSH HAS SENT YOU A FRIEND REQUEST
I HAVEN'T BEEN THIS HAPPY IN A FANDOM IN SO, SO LONG. COME ON. GET GOING. READ ALREADY.
I'LL BE BACK WITH MORE RECS AND THINGS TO SQUEE OVER.
I am using my very own screencaps and will be using them until the end of this. You can find screencaptures for Complete S1 and S2 at www.qafcaps.com. Kid tested, mother approved. (Kix commercial reference).
( This week on Queer as Folk. )
That's it from me! Remember:
1. We're still alive and kicking.
2. sakesushimaki's last recap is here.
3. I have a website and I'm working on S3 but I have complete S1 and S2 screencaps at www.qafcaps.com.
4. ... I don't have a 4. I just wanted it to be even.
Until next time!
Remember before the "holy crap they're like fucking newlyweds line" in Episode 206? Where did Brian and Justin go after they left the table? They couldn't have left. They would've said goodbye or ran into Melanie and Lindsay if they were outside. Since they were practically necking at the table, I'd venture a guess and say upstairs to fuck. But, I'll take other guesses and gapfillers. :)
I know you thought that I'd probably just stop doing these but you'd be wrong. What can I say? Sometimes life gets in the way of fandom activities. I hate it when that happens. Ha. But, I think that I'm ready to get back rolling in on this thing and since I disappeared for months then it's only air that sakesushimaki gives you the next recap whenever she feels like it. Right, bb? Right.
Last time on Queer as Folk ...
BRIAN AND JUSTIN HAD HOT HOTEL SEX!
I mean, that's all that happened in 110. Right? Okay. Just thought that I'd refresh your memory. Now on to Episode 11.
( Recap 111 and pictures here! )
All caps provided by me at qafcaps.com! Working on them. Next few episodes finished. They just have to be posted. Until next time!
As you all may know or not know, I was working on making screencaps for paddies for her website ages and ages ago. Well, when she stepped out of Qaf fandom, I just didn't feel like continuing the project. Then I realized that I did want to make screencaps because I was already making them for myself and we've never really collectively had a gallery of all the seasons. So, I've had this webserver sitting around and figured that it needed to be used for something. Therefore ...
Yes. It's your very own Qaf caps site. Enjoy! All the information is on the splash page. I want to say a very, very, VERY special thanks to rinmonsterer because I am completely inept when it comes to web stuff particularly the Coppermine gallery. So, thank you! <3
I add the episodes as I finish them. There was a huge chunk of 104 missing for some reason so I have to go back and redo part of that. The next three episodes will be up soon. My intent is to focus on all the characters on the show and even some of the extras, ha. I'm working on it all a little bit at a time but this is going to be a complete gallery. Just keep up with it. I'll have updates here regarding when the website is updated so no one misses anything. Again, enjoy and feel free to spread the word!
I guess I just needed to take a little break from it before I wanted to start posting again. The break that I took wasn't even that long. It was probably all of last week and this weekend. But, I'm back in action and as my first priority in this little place we like to call fandom, I'm pimping.
Now we all heard this terrible rumor about fandom's demise, did we not? I remember I posted this fabulous (if I do say so myself) discussion about pet peeves in fanfic It was really more of a general thing but since I have the Qaf love, a lot of Qaf people chimed in. So, I know you guys exist and want to see fandom chugging on as we've been doing for ages and ages just like I do. All of that said ... there are still challenges and fun, wonderful things for fandom that need more participation (from viewers like you).
Remember that? We have some great fandom things to look forward to but especially during the holidays when everyone (mostly everyone) is feeling warm and fuzzy anyway. Don't you want to have someone gift you something? Don't you want to wake up and find that you have something fandom related in a community just waiting for you to open it?
Sign ups close on October 25th, 2009. That means that I have that much time to ask you to join. Please consider it. Remember how much fun the Valentine thing was? We have these little traditions in fandom that certainly make me feel good and I hope other people feel the same way. Please join! Sign up sheet is right here. It's just waiting for you to click on it. Click. That's all it takes. Let's all have a great holiday season this year fandom. :)
Just had to post something a little bit happier in here and because I said I would post it. Didn't think I would do it, didja? Don't doubt me! Once again, the brill sakesushimaki, will have a new, shiny recap for you soon. In the meantime, here's the other recap that I missed to get you all caught up. The screencaps are mine. I had to take them from a ripped copy so they're kind of crappy but at least they're there. I deal.
( Recap 109 and pictures here! )
Until next time for me!
I'm thinkin' that kwaf is no more so it'll be my own screencaps from this point on. As always the wonderful and patient sakesushimaki has her recaps in her journal! She's all on time and stuff. It's amazing.
This is episode 107 but I call it "Everyone Should Go To the Randy Harrison School of Facial Expressions" because I’m pretty sure that he uses all of them in this one episode.
( Recap 107 and pictures here! A lot of commentary. A lot. I'm making up for missing weeks and weeks and weeks. )
And to make up for my absence, mini-picspam of that scene in 107.
( We needed more scenes like this. Srsly. )
Back tomorrow with 109! ... I hope I will be. It's Glee night and all. :)
I just realized that it's September and that means that it's been some
five four years since Queer as Folk ended? Five years, yo. That's a long time. Since I've never been able to let it go then it feels like just yesterday to me. So, because of my inactivity at work, I'm going to have to jump on to that nostalgia bandwagon. Join me for a little while, will you?
- B/J spoilers in the Yahoo Groups (because they had awesome spoilers)
- Andrea's (sandstorm's) site with just the episode clips on them that we got to see ahead of time. Oh man. I was the worst spoiler virgin ever. As soon as I knew those clips were up then I ran to that site and was like, "I'll just look at one ... okay, two. Maybe all of them." I sucked.
- Everyone being secretive about spoiler tapes and yet for some reason like half of us had them. We never told anyone else though. We just knew that we had them and were keeping that to ourselves.
- And with that said ... gotfolk :)
- brianakinney and justintheartist? I was strangely addicted. I hated original characters but Michael Rappaport will always be Brog to me and Ashton Kutcher is Brian's cousin. Forgot his name though. :|
- The fact that Randall never finished The Quiet Men will forever kill me. Well, that and the Season Six he was writing. I shall miss. :(
- Is It May Yet?
- Did anyone go to the summer Babylon events? I went to Ancient Babylon up in Vancouver since you had to be 21 to get into the ones in the States and only 19 to go to the ones in Canada. I got a Qaf shirt there. I was also 19 that year.
- Randy in Wicked and becoming ridiculously obsessed with the musical. My favorite Elphaba is Eden.
Anyone got more?
Almost the six year "anniversary" of when I went to see Peter Paige in La Jolla and Jonathan B. at the premiere of his movie. Oh man. I went through some trauma that weekend. My first time (and last for Jonathan) ever seeing them both and Peter's play was scheduled on the same day as Jonathan's premiere. Thankfully, the playhouse allows you to exchange tickets so I just went on Saturday instead of Sunday. Or one of those weekend days. Crisis averted.
Qaf recap 107 and 109 coming up this weekend!
( Top 5 Movie Characters )
( Top 5 Brian and Justin Kisses )
Five Favourite Music Videos:
1) Metallica - Enter Sandman: This is more like ... videos that have stuck with me the most. I remember seeing Enter Sandman when I was just a kid and it was so frightening. It reminded me of every nightmare that I've ever had and I couldn't look away!
2) Duran Duran - Come Undone: This video actually reminds me of one of my favorite Faerie Tale Theater stories, The Little Mermaid. Well, the mermaids in the video probably help that right along. I always wondered how long they were able to hold their breath underwater. It's just a fantastic video.
3) Michael Jackson - Thriller: What isn't there to love about Thriller? It's a short story. It's well conceived and executed. It's a great song. I have the Making Of memorized as I watch it and I love thinking about everything involved to create this video. It really was a film and it was a good one.
4) Michael Jackson - Man in the Mirror (Moonwalker version): I think I've been watching Moonwalker since I was a toddler and I love this version of the song. The video version that aired makes you think and I know who those significant people are now but this is the version I grew up with. During that really strong chorus when he spins around and slams his knees on the ground? Powerful and inspiring. It's such a beautiful song.
5) Janet Jackson - Alright: Had to throw in some Janet because she followed in her brother's footsteps. Janet had a lot of memorable videos but I picked Alright because it was just so much fun! Cab Calloway was in it and it had a lot of vibrant colors. She's in that black suit and just playing around, playing hopscotch, and singing. It's a fantastic video.
Five Favourite Michael Jackson Songs:
1. Man in the Mirror - I think I said it all in the music video part. It's an inspirational song. It's powerful. It's got a great hook to it and whenever I sing along to it or think about it I just see a sea of candles in a large crowd and Michael performing.
2. Keep the Faith - The Dangerous album was my favorite Michael album for a long time and Keep the Faith is one of the songs that made it my favorite. Not only is it inspiring but the beginning is just so simple. It's a simple melody that starts out quietly and then there's that beat that comes in before the chorus and then the choir. It's a song that just gets bigger and better as it goes on.
3. Another Part of Me - I used to see Captain EO a lot when I was a kid. A lot. This song will always remind me of the end where everything in that world is happy and colorful again and full of music!
4. Music and Me - Again, another song from Moonwalker that's always stuck with me. It's so wistful and Michael's young voice is so crystal clear and beautiful. It's always been one of my favorite songs.
5. Dirty Diana - This song is the definitive concert song. I think it describes every groupie experience that I've been part of/seen. It's just one of those songs and I love everything about it.
Five Favourite TV kisses:
1. Buffy - Becoming Part II: The thing to do after a great kiss is to kill your vampire lover and send him straight to hell, right? No matter how many times I see it, I always end up crying like I've never cried for anything before. Absolutely heartbreaking.
2. Angel - You're Welcome: Conversely, I loved Angel/Cordelia. I loved the way that they developed and that last moment of the show is one of the best in television ... ever. Ever.
3. The Office - Casino Night: Jim/Pam's first kiss. Okay, also another heartbreaking moment of forbidden love. It was sweet though and ended appropriately enough.
4. Friends - Ross and Rachel: Don't know the name of this episode but it just couldn't have gone any other way right? A cliched but lovely kiss in the rain.
5. Queer as Folk: Any Brian/Justin kiss. The end.